- A long, thin, sharp implement usually for piercing such as sewing, or knitting, acupuncture, tattooing, body piercing, medical injections etc.
"The seamstress threaded the needle to sew on a button."
- A sensor for playing phonograph records, a phonograph stylus.
"Ziggy bought some diamond needles for his hi-fi phonograph."
- A long, thin device for indicating measurements on a dial or graph, e.g. a compass needle.
"The needle on the fuel gauge pointed to empty."
- (informal, usually preceded by the) The death penalty carried out by lethal injection.
- Any slender, pointed object resembling a needle, such as a pointed crystal, a sharp pinnacle of rock, an obelisk, etc.
- A long, pointed leaf found on some conifers.
- (transitive) To tease in order to provoke; to poke fun at.
"Billy needled his sister incessantly about her pimples."
- To pierce with a needle, especially for sewing or acupuncture.
- (transitive) To form in the shape of a needle.
"to needle crystals"