- (physics) of electrical charge of an electron and related particles [from the 18th c.]
- damaging; undesirable; unfavourable
- (chemistry) metalloidal; nonmetallic; contrasted with positive or basic.
"The nitro group is negative."
- not positive or neutral
- (linguistics, logic) denying a proposition
- Of or relating to a photographic image in which the colours of the original, and the relations of right and left, are reversed.
- (mathematics) of number, less than zero
- pessimistic; not tending to see the bright side of things. (Often used pejoratively.)
- (New Age jargon) (pejorative) bad, unwanted, disagreeable, potentially damaging, to be avoided, unpleasant, difficult, painful; (often precedes 'energy', 'feeling', 'emotion' or 'thought').
- (weightlifting): A rep performed with weight in which the muscle begins at maximum contraction and is slowly extended; a movement performed using only the eccentric phase of muscle movement.
- (law) a right of veto
- (mathematics) a negative quantity
- refusal or withholding of assents; veto, prohibition [from the 15th c.]
- (grammar) a word that indicates negation
- The negative plate of a voltaic or electrolytic cell.
- (photography) an image in which dark areas represent light ones, and the converse [from the 19th c.]
- To contradict
- To veto
- To disprove