- Close proximity, nearby area; particularly, close proximity to one's home.
"He lives in my neighborhood."
- An approximate amount.
"He must be making in the neighborhood of $200,000 per year."
- (topology) An open set which contains the point in question.
- (topology) A set containing an open set which contains point in question.
- (chiefly obsolete) The quality of being a neighbor, of living nearby, next to each-other; proximity.
"Our neighborhood was our only reason to exchange hollow greetings."
- A formal or informal division of a municipality or region.
"We have just moved to a pleasant neighborhood."
- (obsolete) The disposition becoming a neighbor; neighborly kindness or good will.
- (graph theory) The set of all the vertices adjacent to a given vertex.
- The inhabitants of a residential area.
"The fire alarmed the neighborhood."
- The quality of physical proximity.
"The slums and the palace were in awful neighborhood."
- (topology) The infinitesimal open set of all points that may be reached directly from a given point.