- Relating to an offense or attack, as opposed to defensive.
"The army's offensive capabilities. An offensive weapon."
- Causing offense; arousing a visceral reaction of disgust, anger, or hatred.
"Some feminists find pornography offensive."
- (team sports) Having to do with play directed at scoring.
"The offensive coordinator is responsible for ordering all rushing plays."
- (uncountable) The posture of attacking or being able to attack.
"He took the offensive in the press, accusing his opponent of corruption."
- (countable, military) An attack.
"The Marines today launched a major offensive."