- A manuscript or document that has been erased or scraped clean, for reuse of the paper, parchment, vellum, or other medium on which it was written.
- (geology) Geological features thought to be related to features or effects below the surface.
- Something bearing the traces of an earlier, erased form.
- (astronomy) Circular features believed to be lunar craters that have been obliterated by later volcanic activity.
- (cultural studies) The partial erasure of or superimposition on an older society or culture by a newer one.
- (archaic) Monumental brasses that have been reused by engraving of the blank back side.
- (computing) Memory that has been erased and re-written.
- To scrape clean, as in parchment, for reuse.
- On paper: to reuse, often by erasure or change of pen direction or color. Especially fueled by Earth Day.
"Typically refers to a multi-layered work, e.g.: new ads covering old on a roadside sign."