- a public drinking fountain in Scotland and North-East England
- (used attributively as a modifier) Of or relating to pants.
- (obsolete) A violent palpitation of the heart.
- (fashion) A pair of pants (trousers or underpants).
- A quick breathing; a catching of the breath; a gasp.
- (transitive, intransitive) To breathe quickly or in a labored manner, as after exertion or from eagerness or excitement; to respire with heaving of the breast; to gasp.
- (intransitive) Of the heart, to beat with unnatural violence or rapidity; to palpitate.
- (intransitive) To long eagerly; to desire earnestly.
- (transitive) To long for (something); to be eager for (something).
- (intransitive) To sigh; to flutter; to languish.