"paper tiger; paper gangster"
- Made of paper.
"paper bag; paper plane"
- (slang) Money.
- A medicinal preparation spread upon paper, intended for external application.
- A sheet material used for writing on or printing on (or as a non-waterproof container), usually made by draining cellulose fibres from a suspension in water.
- (uncountable) Wrapping paper.
- A scholastic essay.
- A paper packet containing a quantity of items.
"a paper of pins, tacks, opium, &c."
- (uncountable) Wallpaper.
- A written document that reports scientific or academic research and is usually subjected to peer review before publication in a scientific journal or in the proceedings of a scientific or academic meeting (such as a conference, a workshop or a symposium).
- (New Zealand) A university course.
- A newspaper or anything used as such (such as a newsletter or listing magazine).
- A written document, generally shorter than a book (white paper, term paper), in particular one written for the Government.
- (transitive) To apply paper to.
"to paper the hallway walls"
- (transitive) To fill a theatre or other paid event with complimentary seats.
"As the event has not sold well, we'll need to paper the house."
- (transitive) To document; to memorialize.
"After they reached an agreement, their staffs papered it up."