- A flawless diamond of at least 100 carats.
- A person of preeminent qualities, who acts as a pattern or model of some given (especially positive) quality. [from 16th c.]
"In the novel, Constanza is a paragon of virtue who would never compromise her reputation."
- (typography, printing, dated) The size of type between great primer and double pica, standardized as 20-point. [from 18th c.]
- (obsolete) Comparison; competition. [16th–17th c.]
- (obsolete) A companion; a match; an equal. [16th–19th c.]
- To serve as a model for; to surpass.
- To compare with; to equal; to rival.
- To compare; to parallel; to put in rivalry or emulation with.
- To be equal; to hold comparison.