- A site for mining stone, limestone or slate.
"Michelangelo personally quarried marble from the world-famous quarry at Carrara"
- An animal which is hunted, notably mammal or bird.
- An object of search or pursuit.
- A part of the entrails of a hunted animal, given to the hounds.
- A diamond-shaped tile or pane, notably of glass or stone.
- To secure prey; to prey, as a vulture or harpy.
- (figuratively, transitive) To extract or slowly obtain by long, tedious searching.
"They quarried out new, interesting facts about ancient Egypt from old papyri."
- (transitive) To obtain (mine) stone by extraction from a quarry.
"Michelangelo personally quarried marble from the world-famous quarry at Carrara."