- The lower shaft of a feather, specifically the region lacking barbs.
- A sharply pointed, barbed, and easily detached needle-like structure that grows on the skin of a porcupine or hedgehog as a defense against predators.
- (music) The plectrum with which musicians strike the strings of certain instruments.
- (figuratively) Any pen.
"He picked up his quill and wrote a poem."
- The pen of a squid.
- Something having the form of a quill, such as the fold or plain of a ruff, or (weaving) a spindle, or spool, upon which the thread for the woof is wound in a shuttle.
- A pen made from a feather.
- A thin piece of bark, especially of cinnamon or cinchona, curled up into a tube.
- (music) The tube of a musical instrument.
- To pierce or be pierced with quills.
- To decorate with quillwork.
- To form fabric into small, rounded folds.
- (figuratively) To write.