- Condensed water falling from a cloud.
"We've been having a lot of rain lately.The rains came late that year."
- (figuratively) An instance of particles or larger pieces of matter moving or falling through air.
"A rain of mortar fire fell on our trenches."
- (figuratively) Any matter moving or falling, usually through air, and especially if liquid or otherwise figuratively identifiable with raindrops.
- (impersonal) To have rain fall from the sky.
"It will rain today."
- (transitive) To issue (something) in large quantities.
"The boxer rained punches on his opponent's head."
- (intransitive) To fall in large quantities.
"Bombs rained from the sky."
- To fall as or like rain.
"Tears rained from her eyes."