- A Native American medicine man who induces rain by rituals.
- (figuratively) An executive or lawyer with exceptional ability to attract clients, use political connections, or increase profits, etc.
"The president has several rainmakers among his advisers."
- (figuratively) An employee of a company who creates a large amount of unexpected business, consistently brings in money at critical times, or brings in markedly more money than his or her co-workers, thereby "floating their salaries".
- (baseball, informal) A batted ball that is hit very high into the air.
"The slugger is known for hitting rainmakers."
- A person who induces rainfall through scientific methods, such as cloud seeding.
- (figuratively) An investor in sick or start-up business ventures.