- A keeper, guardian, or soldier who ranges over a region (generally of wilderness) to protect the area or enforce the law.
- (military) In some modern armies, an elite soldier, similar to special forces but often operating in larger units.
- A roving robber; one who seeks plunder.
- A dog that beats the ground in search of game.
- (role-playing games) A character skilled in the use of ranged weapons.
- One who ranges; a rover.
- (obsolete) That which separates or arranges; a sieve.
- (literature),(role-playing games) A warrior character, often with wilderness and stealth skill, who typically travels the country side.