- Of the color of the raven; jet-black
"She was a tall, sophisticated, raven-haired beauty."
- Rapine; rapacity.
- A common name for several, generally large and lustrous black species of birds in the genus Corvus, especially the common raven, Corvus corax.
- Prey; plunder; food obtained by violence.
- To devour with great eagerness.
- (archaic) To obtain or seize by violence.
- To prey with rapacity; to be greedy; to show rapacity.
"The raven is both a scavenger, who ravens a dead animal almost like a vulture, and a bird of prey, who commonly ravens to catch a rodent."