- any temporary dwelling, a hut, tent, booth.
- Any portable shrine used in heathen or idolatrous worship
- (US) A temporary place of worship, especially a tent, for a tent meeting, as with a venue for revival meetings.
- (nautical) A hinged device allowing for the easy folding of a mast 90 degrees from perpendicular, as for transporting the boat on a trailer, or passing under a bridge.
- (by extension) The Jewish Temple at Jerusalem (as continuing the functions of the earlier tabernacle).
- A small ornamented cupboard or box used for the reserved sacrament of the Eucharist, normally located in an especially prominent place in a Roman Catholic church.
- (figuratively) Any abode or dwelling place, or especially the human body as the temporary dwelling place of the soul, or life.
- (biblical) The portable tent used before the construction of the temple, where the shekinah (presence of God) was believed to dwell.
- A sukkah, the booth or 'tabernacle' used during the Jewish Feast of Sukkot.
- (by extension) Any house of worship; used especially of Mormon churches.