- (uncountable, informal) By extension, any piece of equipment, particularly gadgetry.
- (countable) Any instance in which one person forces another to the ground.
- (slang) A man's genitalia.
- (fishing, uncountable) Equipment (rod, reel, line, lure, etc.) used when angling.
- (American football, countable) A play where a defender brings the ball carrier to the ground.
- (American football) The defensive positions between two ends: defensive tackle; a person playing that position.
- (nautical) A system of ropes and blocks used to increase the force applied to the free end of the rope.
- (sports, countable) A play where a player attempts to take control over the ball from an opponent, as in rugby or football.
- (American football) The offensive positions between each guard and end: offensive tackle; a person playing that position.
- (American football) to bring a ball carrier to the ground
- (sports) to attempt to take away a ball
- to face or deal with attempting to overcome or fight down
"The government's measures to tackle crime were insufficient."