- (Britain) The hinged rear door of a hatchback.
- A hinged board or hatch at the rear of a vehicle that can be lowered for loading and unloading; a tailboard.
- Either of the downstream gates in a canal lock.
- To follow another person through access control on their access, rather than on one’s own credentials, especially when entering a door controlled by a card reader.
- (automotive) To drive dangerously close behind another vehicle.
"That idiot has been tailgating me for the last five minutes."
- (US) to have a tailgate party
- (finance, of a broker) To privately purchase or sell a security immediately after trading in the same security for a client.