- A number told or counted off; a reckoning by count; an enumeration.
- (obsolete) Number.
- (obsolete) A speech; a statement; talk; conversation; discourse.
- (rare or archaic) A number of things considered as an aggregate; sum.
- A rehearsal of what has occurred; narrative; discourse; statement; history; story.
"the Canterbury Tales"
- (obsolete) Speech; language.
- (rare or archaic) Numbering; enumeration; reckoning; account; count.
- An account of an asserted fact or circumstance; a rumour; a report, especially an idle or malicious story; a piece of gossip or slander; a lie.
"Don't tell tales!"
- (slang) The fraudulent opportunity presented by a confidence man to the mark (sense 3.3) of a confidence game.
- Alternative form of tael
- (obsolete) Account; estimation; regard; heed.
- (law, obsolete) A count; declaration.
- (rare or archaic) A report of any matter; a relation; a version.
- (dialectal, chiefly Scotland) To reckon; consider (someone) to have something.
- (dialectal or obsolete) To speak; discourse; tell tales.