- The projecting part of the breech of a musket barrel, by which the barrel is secured to the stock
- A group of saltwater fish from the Acanthuridae family, especially the Zebrasoma genus, also known as the surgeonfish.
- A strong or offensive taste; especially, a taste of something extraneous to the thing itself.
"Wine or cider has a tang of the cask."
- The part of a knife, fork, file, or other small instrument, which is inserted into the handle
- Anything resembling a tongue in form or position such as the tongue of a buckle.
- A refreshingly sharp aroma or flavor
- A projecting part of an object by means of which it is secured to a handle, or to some other part.
- The part of a sword blade to which the handle is fastened
- A sharp, twanging sound; an unpleasant tone; a twang
- (rare) knotted wrack, Ascophyllum nodosum (coarse blackish seaweed)
- (obsolete) tongue
- (figuratively) A sharp, specific flavor or tinge
- To make a ringing sound; to ring.
"Let thy tongue tang arguments of state. — Shakespeare."
- (dated, beekeeping) To strike two metal objects together loudly in order to persuade a swarm of honeybees to land so it may be captured by the beekeeper.