- A complicated or confused state or condition.
"I tried to sort through this tangle and got nowhere."
- Any large type of seaweed, especially a species of Laminaria.
- A tangled twisted mass.
- (mathematics) A region of the projection of a knot such that the knot crosses its perimeter exactly four times.
- An argument, conflict, dispute, or fight.
- (in the plural) An instrument consisting essentiallly of an iron bar to which are attached swabs, or bundles of frayed rope, or other similar substances, used to capture starfishes, sea urchins, and other similar creatures living at the bottom of the sea.
- (intransitive) to become mixed together or intertwined
"Her hair was tangled from a day in the wind."
- (intransitive) to enter into an argument, conflict, dispute, or fight
"He tangled with the law."
- (transitive) to catch and hold
- (intransitive) to be forced into some kind of situation
- (transitive) to mix together or intertwine
"Don't tangle with someone three times your size."