- Finishing tape, stretched across a track to mark the end of a race.
"Jones broke the tape in 47.77 seconds, a new world record."
- (trading, from ticker tape) The series of prices at which a financial instrument trades.
"Don’t fight the tape."
- Thin and flat paper, plastic or similar flexible material, usually produced in the form of a roll.
"After the party there was tape all over the place."
- Unthinking, patterned response triggered by a particular stimulus
"Old couples sometimes will play tapes at each other during a fight."
- Flexible material in a roll with a sticky surface on one or both sides; adhesive tape.
"Hand me some tape. I need to fix a tear in this paper."
- Magnetic or optical recording media in a roll; videotape or audio tape.
"Did you get that on tape?"
- (ice hockey) The wrapping of the primary puck-handling surface of a hockey stick
"His pass was right on the tape."
- To record, particularly onto magnetic tape.
"You shouldn’t have said that. The microphone was on and we were taping."
- To bind with adhesive tape.
"Can you tape that together, please?"
- (informal, passive) To understand, figure out.
"I've finally got this thing taped."