- (uncountable) A solid residual byproduct of tobacco smoke.
- (computing) A file produced by such a program.
- Coal tar.
- black tar, a form of heroin
- (computing) A program for archiving files, common on Unix.
- (music) a Persian long-necked, waisted instrument, shared by many cultures and countries in the Middle East and the Caucasus
- (uncountable) A black, oily, sticky, viscous substance, consisting mainly of hydrocarbons derived from organic materials such as wood, peat, or coal.
- (slang, dated) A sailor, because of their tarpaulin clothes. Also Jack Tar.
- (transitive) To besmirch.
"Although he was found innocent, the allegations had tarred his name."
- (computing) To create a tar archive.
- (transitive) To coat with tar.