- A burdensome demand.
"a heavy tax on time or health"
- (obsolete) A lesson to be learned.
- Money paid to the government other than for transaction-specific goods and services.
- (obsolete) charge; censure
- A task exacted from one who is under control; a contribution or service, the rendering of which is imposed upon a subject.
- (transitive) To make excessive demands on.
- (transitive) To impose and collect a tax on (something).
"Some think to tax wealth is destructive of a private sector."
- (transitive) To impose and collect a tax from (a person).
"Some think to tax the wealthy is the fairest."