- Freedom from some business or activity. [from 14th c.]
- (Canada, US) A holiday; a stretch of leisure time away from work or duty and devoted to rest or pleasure. [from 19th c.]
- A period during which official activity or business is formally suspended; an official holiday from university, law courts etc. [from 15th c.]
- (US, law) The act of making legally void.
- (obsolete) Free time given over to a specific purpose; occupation, activity. [15th-17th c.]
- The act of vacating something; moving out. [from 19th c.]
"The Conservative Party’s vacation of the centre ground gave an opportunity to its opponents."
- (intransitive) To spend or take a vacation.
"This year, we’re vacationing in Mexico."