- A related but distinct thing.
"when the process didn't work, we tried a variation;"
- (music) A technique where material is repeated with alterations to the melody, harmony, rhythm, timbre, texture, counterpoint or orchestration; but with some invariant characteristic, e.g. a ground bass.
- The act of varying; a partial change in the form, position, state, or qualities of a thing
- (board games) A line of play that differs from the original.
- (nautical) The angular difference at the vessel between the direction of true north and magnetic north. Also called magnetic declination.