- A turn or swerve; an instance of veering.
- (transitive) To turn.
- (intransitive) To change direction or course suddenly; to swerve.
"The car slid on the ice and veered out of control."
- (intransitive, nautical) To change direction into the wind; to wear ship.
- (intransitive, nautical, of the wind) To shift aft.
- (obsolete, nautical) To let out (a sail-line), to allow (a sheet) to run out.
- (intransitive, of the wind) To shift in a clockwise direction (if in the Northern Hemisphere, or in a counterclockwise direction if in the Southern Hemisphere).