- A cover; disguise; a mask; a pretense.
- A covering for a person or thing; as, a caul (especially over a baby's head); a nun's veil; a paten veil; an altar veil.
- Something hung up, or spread out, to hide an object from view; usually of gauze, crape, or similar diaphanous material, to hide or protect the face.
- A membrane connecting the margin of the pileus of a mushroom with the stalk; a velum.
- (mycology) A thin layer of tissue which is attached to or covers a mushroom.
- The calyptra of mosses.
- (zoology) velum (A circular membrane round the cap of medusa)
- To don, or garb with, a veil.
- To conceal as with a veil.
"The forest fire was veiled by smoke, but I could hear it clearly."