- Soft and delicate, like velvet; velvety.
- Made of velvet.
- (politics) peaceful, carried out without violence; especially as pertaining to the peaceful breakup of Czechoslovakia.
- (rare) A female chinchilla; a sow.
- Very fine fur, including the skin and fur on a deer's antlers.
- A closely woven fabric (originally of silk, now also of cotton or man-made fibres) with a thick short pile on one side.
- (slang) The drug dextromethorphan.
- (cooking) To coat raw meat in starch, then in oil, preparatory to frying