- (countable, Britain) A potato waffle, a savoury flat potato cake with the same kind of grid pattern.
- (countable) A flat pastry pressed with a grid pattern.
"The brunch was waffles with strawberries and whipped cream."
- (uncountable) Speech or writing that is vague, pretentious or evasive.
"This interesting point seems to get lost a little within a lot of self-important waffle."
- (transitive) To rotate (one's hand) back and forth in a gesture of vacillation or ambivalence.
- (of birds) To move in a side-to-side motion and descend (lose altitude) before landing. Cf wiffle, whiffle.
"The geese waffled as they approached the water."
- To vacillate.
"He waffles between loving the movie and hating it, depending on who's asking."
- To speak or write at length without any clear point or aim.
- To smash.
- To speak or write vaguely and evasively.