- An amount of money paid to a worker for a specified quantity of work, usually expressed on an hourly basis.
- (transitive, obsolete) To wager, bet.
- (transitive) To conduct or carry out (a war or other contest).
- (transitive, obsolete) To employ for wages; to hire.
- (obsolete, law, Britain) To give security for the performance of.
- (transitive, obsolete) To expose oneself to, as a risk; to incur, as a danger; to venture; to hazard.
- (transitive) To adventure, or lay out, for hire or reward; to hire out.