- The texture of a piece of fabric.
- A timber bolted to a row of piles to secure them together and in position.
- A raised rib in knit goods or fabric, especially corduroy. (As opposed to course)
- A horizontal timber used for supporting or retaining earth.
- A ridge or streak produced on skin by a cane or whip.
- Something selected as being the best, preference; choice.
- A ridge or low barrier.
- (nautical) A horizontal ridge or ledge on the outside planking of a wooden ship. (See gunwale, chainwale)
- A ridge on the outside of a horse collar.
- To strike the skin in such a way as to produce a wale.
- to choose, select.
- To give a surface a texture of wales.