- A lesion under the skin of cattle, caused by the larva of a bot fly of genus Hypoderma.
- (military) In naval mine warfare, the process of varying the frequency of sound produced by a narrow band noisemaker to ensure that the frequency to which the mine will respond is covered.
- (transitive) To cause to quaver or vibrate.
- (transitive) To sing like a bird, especially with trills.
- (transitive) To modulate a tone's frequency.
- (intransitive) To be quavered or modulated; to be uttered melodiously.