- (weightlifting) A disc of iron, dumbbell, or barbell used for training the muscles.
"He's working out with weights."
- (topology) The smallest cardinality of a base.
- (visual art) The illusion of mass.
- The resistance against which a machine acts, as opposed to the power which moves it.
- The force on an object due to the gravitational attraction between it and the Earth (or whatever astronomical object it is primarily influenced by).
- Importance or influence.
- (statistics) A variable which multiplies a value for ease of statistical manipulation.
- (visual art) The relative thickness of a drawn rule or painted brushstroke, line weight.
- Pressure; burden.
"the weight of care or business"
- A standardized block of metal used in a balance to measure the mass of another object.
- (physics) Mass (net weight, atomic weight, molecular weight, troy weight, carat weight, etc.).
- (typography) The boldness of a font; the relative thickness of its strokes.
- (visual art) The thickness and opacity of paint.
- An object used to make something heavier.
- (transitive) To load, burden or oppress someone.
- (transitive, horse racing) To handicap a horse with a specified weight.
- (transitive, dyeing) To load (fabrics) with barite, etc. to increase the weight.
- (transitive) To bias something; to slant.
- (transitive) To add weight to something; to make something heavier.
- (transitive, mathematics) To assign weights to individual statistics.