- (nautical) A vessel's motion rotating about the vertical axis, so the bow yaws from side to side; a characteristic of unsteadiness.
- An act of yawing.
- The angle between the longitudinal axis of a projectile at any moment and the tangent to the trajectory in the corresponding point of flight of the projectile.
- The extent of yawing, the rotation angle about the vertical axis
"the yaw of an aircraft"
- The rotation of an aircraft, ship, or missile about its vertical axis so as to cause the longitudinal axis of the aircraft, ship, or missile to deviate from the flight line or heading in its horizontal plane.
- (intransitive, nautical) To swerve off course to port or starboard.
- (intransitive, aviation) To turn about the vertical axis while maintaining course.
- (intransitive) To rise in blisters, breaking in white froth, as cane juice in the clarifiers in sugar works.
- (intransitive, nautical) To steer badly, zigzagging back and forth across the intended course of a boat; to go out of the line of course.